Thursday, August 16, 2012

July: A Flood of Emotions

I was looking forward to July and what was next on my road of giving. I was looking into volunteering at the humane society, but when a place i called my home for so long, and people and places that i love were struck with tragedy i have to act. I watched diligently to news and my sister-in-law's facebook page as they gave up-to-date pictures and details. So many times when tragedy strikes the world seems to stand still. Those who want to help, want to do something, anything, whatever they can, but they just don't know where to start.

On June19th and 20th, 6-10 inches of rain fell on the Duluth/Superior area causing massive flooding throughout the area. The Lake Superior Zoo was one of the major areas effected by the flood. Over a dozen animals lost their lives and 2 seals and a polar bear managed to escape their enclosures. The animals were safely returned, but the damage is insurmountable. Many roadways were washed out causing crater like pot holes.  I have included a link to several pictures of the flood.

Duluth Flood Pictures


I have been emphasizing the need to work within the parameters of your local charities, but i think for this one incident i am going to step off my pedestal and lend some monetary aid to help those who are struggling with life after the flood.

If you would like to help the cause here is the link to the Northland Red Cross Chapter
Northland Red Cross Chapter

~B

No comments:

Post a Comment